Sunday, July 6, 2014

G.O.s from Holt Anthology

I think I will introduce students to the "lenses" of analysis on Day Three. Day Two will be about Talking to the Text/Books as Real People/Natural Curiosity. 

I like the three types of irony, aka, Sarcasm, Intellectual Irony, and Gossipy Irony

At first I broke Theme down into Role in Story and Specific Support. But on second thought, that is not scaffolded enough. This one is pretty thorough. Good one, Holt.

I dismissed the good-old plot outline lesson because my MT didn't like it. But when I think about it, it is a nice, simple way to uncover how an author makes a story -- which is the point of English class: uncovering the secrets of author's craft.

My character G.O. was also kind of lofty and confusing. General vs. small details? Thematic links? Uh-uh. I already learned from student teaching to make G.O.'s as internalizable and clear as possible. This one is like the plot outline: it asks for concrete separations such as what does the character Say, Do, Think, and Portrayal. Great, thanks, Holt.

No comments:

Post a Comment