Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Power of True Cliches

I'm sorry I underestimated Nick Sparks. Why do people rebuff the cliche - as M said, there's still truth in them sometimes and isn't that powerful? Sparks uses a metaphor in Best of Me, of an otter trapped in a cage. A socialite's daughter feels trapped by the life forced on her in a way. Trapped in a cage is old and tired language. Yet it aptly describes so much such as:

- doctors stuck in the requirements of rigorous training structures
- administrators, teachers, and students trapped in education's disorganized traditions 
- anyone who is victims of inequality and discrimination
- everyone who inherits the ways of doing and thinking that don't work anymore 

We want control but sometimes the invisible cages confine our autonomy. Thinking outside the box is a rarity that must be fought hard for. It may be cliche but we're all in this together.

For now, though, here is a cold hard truth as tragic as the majority of the English curriculum texts: I live in a cage. You live in a cage. 

*another realization: the best writing and most motivated reading comes from real experience. I want to finish Best of Me to know how/if she gets out of her cage because I want to escape mine. I should ask the students what books or stories do you connect with and why? Ex: I connected with Henrietta Lacks because I have also felt afraid of things I don't understand. And frustrated when others won't tell me the answers. Or I can ask, what makes you interested in reading something? What are some of your favorite books and stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment